Hiring a EU domestic worker: how it works in Italy and the main tasks of the employer and the worker

The employer and his tasks

The standard procedure for hiring EU domestic staff is the same as that in place for the hiring of Italian citizens, with the following steps:

1. When the parties agree upon the terms of the employment relationship, the employer must firstly ask the worker to provide the following legal documents:

2. This is followed by signature of the written employment contract by the parties: contractual terms regarding holidays, permits, severance indemnity and so on are regulated by the domestic work collective labour agreement (in Italian), in force from 1 July 2013 to the end of 2016.

3. Communicating the engagement to Inps: the employer is required to send the engagement communication to INPS by the day prior to the first day of the employment relationship.

All communications regarding the employment relationship with the domestic help must be effected without going physically to the office, but by going:

a – online, to the website www.inps.it. Documents needed: PIN code (Personal Identification Number) and tax code, filling in the appropriate forms

b – via contact center, calling INPS/INAIL toll-free number 803 164. Documents needed: PIN or National Services Card (CNS)

  • PIN code:
    after requesting it online or via the contact center, INPS will send to the employer by mail only the first eight digits of this code. To obtain the missing digits it is necessary to:
    • Go to the site and the link “Activate PIN” and be in possession of the Tessera Sanitaria (TS, health insurance card), which provides the necessary information
    • if you do not have the TS, it is possible to contact toll-free number 803 164, in order to receive the digits by mail
  • National Services Card (CNS): a digital document with which it is possible to gain access to the online services of Italy’s Public Administration.

Once INPS has been informed, the communication will be forwarded by INPS to other organisations (Job Centres, Inail and Prefecture).

The worker and his tasks

The worker must provide the employer with the required documentation:

  • passport or identity card valid for expatriation issued by the member State
  • tax code or health insurance card issued free of charge by the Local Healthcare Authority